Which wetsuit do I need?

So you want to know which wetsuit do you need. Before anyone can answer that question you will have to ask and answer yourself the following questions:

  1. What is my sport? Do I need a wetsuit for surfing, diving, windsurfing, triathlon etc...
  2. Where and when am I going to use it? Is it going to be summer, winter, cold water, warm water...
  3. How much money am I willing to spend? Better wetsuits cost more, I think they are worth the money... but if you won't need it a lot, maybe a cheaper one is a better idea.
I cant answer or predict the first and third one for you, but I can give you a water temperature guide/chart for wetsuits. You can check this link or to sum it up here (the temperatures are water temperatures):

TEMP: > 77 F/> 25 C
You don't need a wetsuit

TEMP: 72F–77F / 22C-25C
If the the weather is colder wear a shorty. Or a wetsuit top maybe.

TEMP:68F–72F/20C–22C
Shorty. Or even spring suit/ 3/2 full suit in cold weather.

TEMP: 64F–68F / 18C–20C
Spring suit or full suit 3/2. 

TEMP: 59F–64F / 15C–18C
A good 3/2 full suit, 4/3 wetsuit is better.

TEMP: 54F–59F / 12C–15C
4/3 wetsuit+ booties, If you surf 54F a lot get a 5/3 wetsuits.

TEMP: 48F-54F/9C-12C
5/3 or 5/4/3 wetsuit + booties + gloves + hood.

TEMP: < 48 F / < 9 C
5/3 wetsuit is OK, 6/5/4 is better. Use THICK booties, gloves and hood (5mm or more).

Hope that helps.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a swimming suit for swimming long distances. Here the water is warm, about >25ºC (77ºF) Never wore a wetsuit before, but for what I have read is pretty hot for wearing one. So its hard to me to choose I would like to protected from sunburn, jellyfish and rashes.
    Any recommendation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miquel, try lycra long sleeve rashguard or if you want to protect your whole body you can also get lycra full body swimming suits

    ReplyDelete

Search wetsuits by labels

Wetsuit

Wetsuit